Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tonight's Dinner - Everything Local Vegetable Pasta with Homemade Pesto and Local Sea Scallops


You know its really summer when the entire meal can be made from local ingredients (except for the pasta and olive oil).

Tuesday at the farm we had so much basil I came home and immediately made a quick pesto.

Basil Pesto
I washed and dried a few handfuls of basil and then added it to the food processor with about 1/4 a cup of olive oil (you might need more, might need less depending on how much basil you are using), the juice of one lemon and one garlic clove minced and pureed. Then I added in about half a cup of cooled toasted pine nuts (I keep my pine nuts in the freezer so they stay fresh) and pulsed a few times. I prefer to pulse the nuts as opposed to just turning on the processor as I like a little chunkiness to my pesto, which is why I added the pine nuts after I had already pureed the basil mixture. Then I stir in about 1 cup of finely grated parmesan.

Grilled Vegetable Pasta
What you need (really any fresh vegetables will do, I used:
Corn
Tomatoes
Zucchini
Summer Squash

I grilled the corn in the husk for about 15 minutes. Turning every 5 minutes or so.

Then I diced 1 Zucchini and 1 Summer Squash drizzled a bit of olive oil over them, added a bit of salt and pepper and grilled them in my grill basket. After about 10 minutes I added in tomatoes cut in half or quartered (depending on their size). Then I removed the corn and allowed it to cool for a few minutes, pulled back the husks and then allowed to cool again for a few minutes and then cut off the kernels.

I mixed everything together, with cooked pasta, and a large spoonful of the pesto.

Grilled Sea Scallops
Season with salt and pepper. Grill for 3 minutes (or less) each side. And then top with a small spoonful of pesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment