Friday, July 2, 2010

Tonight's Dinner- Local Montauk Blackfish, Just Picked Zucchini Slaw, Just Picked Favas, and Mushroom Risotto

Yesterday my 3.5 year old daughter asked me what we were having for dinner that night. I told her I had no idea. She asked me to make a "mushroom dissoto." I laughed. I didn't have the heart to correct her mispronunciation of risotto - it was too cute - "dissoto."

Lets start with the zucchini slaw. Not only had I never tasted a zucchini slaw till today, I had never even heard of one. It was so much better than I could have ever imagined.



Zucchini Slaw
2 Raw Zucchini
a Handful of Raw Radishes
1/4 Red Onion cut into a small dice
a Handful of Basil chopped
a Handful of Cilantro chopped (if you are a Cilantrophobe then leave it out)
a Handful of Mint chopped
1 tablespoon of mayo
1 teaspoon dijon
1 tablespoon of olive oil
teaspoon of white wine vinegar
Salt
Pepper

Run the zucchini through the grater attachment of your food processor (or grate by hand). Then put in a colander over the sink or a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Let stand for half an hour.

Whisk mayo, dijon, olive oil, and white wine vinegar (dont worry if its clumpy) and then add in salt, pepper and diced onions.

Grate the radishes.

Stir everything together and season with salt and pepper to taste.


Mushroom Risotto
Tip for the best mushroom broth: Each time you are using mushrooms and you are removing the stems, instead of throwing them out, wash and then put in a ziploc in the freezer. Then if you are going to make a mushroom risotto, pull them out and add to either a vegetable broth, a chicken broth, or water with chopped carrots, onions and celery and simmer for half an hour before you start the risotto.

Prepare the risotto according to the package and top with caramelized mushrooms and onions.



Local Montauk Blackfish
This dinner had a lot going on, so I wanted to make the fish in a simple easy way that would require little attention.
So I baked it for about 8 minutes with lemon, salt, pepper, paprika and chopped garlic scapes. Then I broiled for a minute or 2 after topping with my homemade breadcrumbs. Squeezed a bit more lemon on before serving. Turned out really nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment