Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Tonight's Dinner - Local Weakfish with a Homemade Mayonnaise, Salad of Local Greens and Radishes & Easter Pie




I am not usually a leftover person at all, but last nigh't Easter Pie was so good, I wanted to incorporate it into another dinner.

This time I stopped by Amagansett Seafood for some weakfish. I know, I hadn't heard of it either until last year when we moved out here. Here it is an article from our local paper about the little guy. They are actually delicious and very mild. I decided to pan fry it and serve it with a homemade mayonaise (that I intentionally left rather liquidy and added a bit more mustard than is typically used).

Pan Fried Weakfish Recipe:
1 cup of Homemade Bread Crumbs (I always save the little pieces and ends of the bread we don't finish before it goes bad. I put it in the refrigerator in a bag in the back and about once every month or so I get the bag of rock hard bread out of the fridge and throw it into the food processor until its finely ground. I then just store it in a ziploc in the cabinet.)
1/4 cup of corn meal
1/8 cup of parmesan
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 cup of Flour & 1 egg lightly beaten for dredging

Combine the breadcrumbs, cornmeal, parmesan and salt and pepper in a small bowl and mix, then transfer to a plate. Lightly beat the egg in a shallow bowl. Put the flour on a separate plate.

Heat a pan on high and add a tablespoon of an oil that will not smoke easily (i.e. safflower oil). Then prepare the fish. Take each filet and dip it in the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs. When the oil is hot (throw in a breadcrumb and if it starts bubbling and cooking in the oil then its ready) then add the fish in the pan and cook for a few minutes on each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment