Monday, June 14, 2010

Tonight's Dinner - Spinach Lasagne


We were able to pick an unlimited amount of spinach on Saturday and I am trying to get through it before tomorrow's harvest. Tonight we had a wonderful spinach lasagne.

I used:
1 Fresh Mozzarella
1 Package of Hard Mozzarella Grated
1 Pint of Fresh Whole Milk Ricotta
1 lb of your favorite Sausage
2 (16 oz) cans of Whole Tomatoes
1 jar or Rao's Marinara Sauce (Its so good, I figure using a Jar for half of the sauce is OK) or use your own
5 large Garlic cloves - minced
1 box of Whole Wheat Lasagne Noodles
a lot of spinach - maybe 2 pounds
salt and pepper

I first made my sauce by browning the sausage meat (I squeezed it out of the casing into the pan) then added the minced garlic and then the tomatoes from the 2 cans of whole tomatoes (I threw out the watery sauce they come in). I let that cook for a few minutes and smashed the tomatoes with a masher. Then drained the meat / tomato mixture and returned the liquid to the pan to reduce and added a splash of red wine and about 1 tablespoon of tomato paste. While that was going I took the raw spinach in batches and ground in the food processor. I transfered it to a bowl and squeezed the water out with paper towels.

I then took the ricotta over a strainer so that the milky water would drain.

Then I put it all together in the lasagna pan in this order. Rao's sauce, lasagna noodles, all the ground spinach and grated mozzarella, noodles, Rao's sauce and then the ricotta and then the sausage in the red sauce (I pored the reduced red sauce on top) and cooked it on convection for about 45 minutes at 400 covered. I took it off, turned to broil, and topped with the fresh mozzarella and broiled till the fresh mozzarella was bubbling and slightly browned.

We are all stuffed.

No comments:

Post a Comment