Sunday, June 20, 2010

Tonight's Dinner - Grilled Local Swordfish topped with Local Greenhouse Tomato Salad and Farm Fresh Greens, With Stewed White Beans and Red Rice


I love the colors on the plate from tonight's dinner. When I make this meal again I will skip the stewed white beans and replace with a grilled vegetable perhaps zucchini, or eggplant or even corn. Tonight I included the beans because my daughters (ages 2 and 3.5) really like this dish and I was unsure how this swordfish would go over with them, as they prefer local cod.

Grilled Swordfish
Rinse the fish in cold water and pat dry with a paper towel and then salt and pepper the fish and return to the fridge

When you are ready to grill (or saute) the fish, add it to the grill (or pan) for about 4 minutes or so on each side depending on the thickness of the fish.

When its ready plate and spoon the tomato salad on top.

Prepare the Tomato Salad
Cut 2 shallots into a small dice
Dice Tomatoes (I used 3 tomatoes for this dish 2 red and 1 green)
Finely chop 1 tablespoon of fresh oregano

In a small bowl add one tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, one tablespoon of white balsamic vinegar, juice from half a lemon, half teaspoon of honey, the chopped oregano, and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Once emulsified, add in the diced shallots and set aside. Keep tomatoes in a separate bowl until you are about to plate the dish at which point you will mix in.

Bhutanese Red Rice
I used this recipe as a starting point. But I deviated in these ways. I didn't need to wash my rice, so that saved a lot of time. I added turnips (we have a lot from the farm right now) to the vegetables used in the dish. After I cooked the vegetables, I removed them from the pot and ground them in the food processor. I did this mostly because my little one needs to be tricked sometimes into eating vegetables and also because I was using water instead of vegetable stock. I then added the ground vegetables back to the pot with the water and rice. And cooked according to the box, in my case 20 minutes.

Ian's Stewed White Beans
A friend, Ian, made this dish a few weeks ago when he had us over for dinner and my girls loved it. Thanks Ian. So easy to make and very tasty, this can easily become the perfect side dish to your favorite meals.
Dice a white onion and add to a sauce pan with a little olive oil. Open a can of white beans and rince and then add to the onions. Open a can of diced tomatoes and add to the pan as well. Add 3 garlic cloves minced a little salt and pepper as well as a teaspoon of fresh thyme and a teaspoon of chopped oregano. Cook for 20 minutes and then stir in a tablespoon of butter when about to plate.

As a side note, when buying canned food, look for the labels that read "Not lined with BPA."

No comments:

Post a Comment