Friday, June 18, 2010

Tonight's Dinner - Grilled Iacono Chicken Southeast Asian Style, with Sticky Rice, Grilled Local Oyster Mushroom, and Kale Salad



I make this salad whenever I have fresh kale. I first ate this salad at Alias on the LES in New York about 8 years ago. Then years later read a NY Times article giving Dan Barber credit for the recipe found here.
I use whatever type of kale I have around for the salad. I also squeeze some fresh lemon into my vinaigrette. Also, if I don't have currants, I use raisins, or dried cranberries, or dried cherries ( as seen here).

These oyster mushrooms were purchased today the the East Hampton Farmers market from Dave the mushroom guy. Amazing mushrooms.

Tonight we went for a local white from Bedell Cellars our favorite vineyard on the North Fork. "First Crush White is designed for the table and for the everyday enjoyment of white wine fans everywhere. Produced of 82% Chardonnay and 18% Viognier, entirely in stainless steel - free from oak aging. Full of bright, green apple-y aromas, as well as a floral, lightly spicy, and fresh citrus notes."



Dave's Grilled Oyster Mushrooms:

Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder (I skipped the garlic powder this time as I didn't have any because I rarely use it).

Once you drizzle the oil and season, then grill for a few minutes on each side.

Vietnamese Grilled Chicken
Season with Salt and Pepper and then Grill the chicken. (It goes without saying that you should use chicken with the bone in and skin on for grilling otherwise you will end up with a very dry chicken.)
While its on the grill, make the sauce:

1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
3 or 4 tablespoons of sugar (I used raw) depending on how sweet you like your sauce
3 Garlic cloves minced
sprinkle of red pepper flakes

Add the vinegar and sugar on medium heat in a small sauce pan. Once the sugar is dissolved then add the garlic, and red pepper stir and remove from heat.

This sauce is packed with flavor and is a perfect dipping sauce for grilled chicken.


Sushi Rice
Rinse rice and make according to the package.

No comments:

Post a Comment